Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Power Boost

   Usually about 4 pm I start looking for chocolate to give me a power boost. I don't drink coffee after twelve noon, because it will be with me for a long time. But a little chocolate can do wonders for the rest of the afternoon until supper time. Anybody else have the same? I think so.

   We are coming up on Pentecost Sunday in a few days. It is the celebration of the birth of the church now. In Jesus' day it was a celebration of the giving of the Law by Moses. But just having the Law doesn't give the boost to love, that the gift of the Spirit can do. Jesus said wait until the power from on high comes upon you, and you will be able to do the things I have done and even greater things. At Pentecost, the Spirit descended on the 120 disciples in the Upper Room and the church burst forth. Peter took the message to the streets and God was able to help the people standing around to understand what Hope God has given us, even in their own language.

   I blog because for some people this is a language they understand. I'm trying to bring the message of hope from God to as many as I can through this form of communication. The same is true for Facebook. It is a language of communication we can use to connect to one another. I hope you find this helpful.

   I am thankful that the Spirit has given me the power boost to share God's story with others. I am glad that God has given strength and wisdom and help so that we can do what Jesus did and raise the dead. There is a lot of dead people spiritually around and I want to help them find God's blessings again.

   The power boost, Jesus said, was to help us go into all the world and make disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The making disciples was to teach each other all the things that Jesus commanded us. I always pause there, because that's a tall order. To teach what Jesus commanded us. We need to find a way to obey what the teachings are about, and that should make a difference in people's lives. But I have to admit I don't always get that right.

   So as we get closer to Pentecost, let's each ask God in our own unique way, to get a power boost that will give us the energy to Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love our neighbors as we have been loved. That will sure make a difference in the lives of others. And as an indirect result of our power boost, they get a power boost, and the hits just keep on coming.

   Blessings on all of you, wherever you are on your journey. May the light of the fire of Pentecost help guide you away from rocks and toward a great harbor. Let me know how it's going by responding to my posts.   

   Pastor Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment