Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Going to Miss Robin Williams

   I was shocked by the news of Robin Williams death this week. He always made me laugh and I am a little troubled by the fact that we are the same age. What a loss.

   There are some excellent blogs and commentaries out there on his life and impact, and I simply can't do them justice. I can reflect on some of my thoughts related to how he touched my life however.

   Patch Adams, the true story of a United Methodist Doctor, whose methods brought some vitality and life back into the lives of those suffering mental illnesses and challenges. His fresh attitude made a difference for his patience until the powers that be cut resources for it to continue. Some people just can't handle new things. A sign of Jesus about fresh wine in fresh wineskins, so that they won't be ruined.

   Peter Pan, every grownups dream about staying as a kid for as long as possible. In our spiritual world we need to keep a childlike attitude. Jesus would take a child and place him in the midst of them, and tell his disciples and followers that it was an attitude like a child that would help them enter the kingdom.

   Dead Poet Society, with it's famous line 'carpe diem' meaning cease the day, take advantage of what is before you now. Spiritually we always wait, we don't think now is the right time to take that plunge, that leap of faith, that total level of trust and walk on water. Jesus was a teacher like Robin was in this movie. He was identifying and drawing out of his students the ability to write and experience life and love and passion that was not the norm for some of them. I kept seeing Jesus pushing and identifying and encouraging a passion and connection and commitment to life with God, just like the movie. And just like in the movie, the style of that teaching gets squashed in the end. Jesus was crucified by the authorities who did not like the direction he was heading. Sound familiar?

   Concerts for famine/hunger etc. Robin really cared about helping people and was willing to share his time and talent to help others. The world desperately needs people who are similarly committed to making a difference in the lives of others. The faith of a follower of Jesus will urge us to continue to think and to pray for those who struggle and suffer. The faith of a follower of Jesus will connect to projects, and missions, and efforts to be a blessing for others who need the help. It will take a complete and total dedication, something Robin demonstrated by his involvement in these concerts for others.

   One of the great components for me was his incredible creativity and his willingness to be so about the idea, the sketch, the crazy insight or moment that he was in, that he brought you right along with him.  I see some of that creativity in my working on Sunday's sermon about the help Jesus promised us would  be available in the Holy Spirit. The Counselor, Ombudsman, supporter, informer, coach etc. The Spirit of Jesus available to make a difference in us. To help us fully develop the character and personality of Jesus. And it will take a type of abandonment of your senses, a letting go of our guard on our souls and learn, to live with such joy of spirit.

   Robin, to me, seemed filled with that creative Spirit that I did admire. And I want to be inspired and filled with the creative Spirit of Jesus. And I want everyone I know to become familiar with and filled with the Holy Spirit to help them become fully developed followers of Jesus. It's a stretch I know, to think of Jesus and Robin Williams, and the Holy Spirit in the same paragraph in a pastor's blog. But it makes sense to me. There are times I wish I had his commitment to his character, to his driving force. Think of the magnificent examples of inspiration that energy and humor and creativity would add to the face of Christianity.  I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that simply said "lighten up" Don't we need that sometimes.

   I think I've been around the Holy Spirit enough to know that being funny and laughing can be a good thing. A joyful spirit is good medicine, the Proverbs promise us. Laughter has great medicinal powers. It sends endorphins rushing through our systems that can do really good things to help us healthy wise. We can be about bringing joy to others.

   I pray for Robin's family, his friends, those whose lives he touched and those who are dealing with the horrible pressures he lived with, that we might find comfort and hope in the midst of this tragedy.

Blessings on your journey through all of this.

Pastor Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment