Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bible for Dummies

   Have you ever been overwhelmed when reading the Bible? Lots of people are. They feel confused, lost, and even irritated by the challenge of knowing what this all means. You are not alone. And you don't have to stay that way either.

   Starting on Monday Sept. 8 at 7 pm, I'll be leading a Bible for Dummies type of class. There is even a book by that title, as well as The Idiot's Guide to the Bible, and The Bible for Blockheads. I just purchased a Bible with the Flyover subtitle, a guide, a path, to important parts without having to worry about all of the pages in between. We would love to have you join us at North Bethesda UMC located in Bethesda on 10100 Old Georgetown Rd. at Lone Oak Drive. We are located between the Beltway and Rt. 270. The class will meet on Monday nights at 7 and starting soon, Thursdays at 1:30 pm.

   I've been teaching introductory classes for years and I find that folks really appreciate the chance to get an overview. The class is like a Grand Sweep, a way to see the important introductory stories in Genesis and Exodus, to become familiar with the prayers of Psalms. The know how to learn about Jesus, and the first century church. Even Revelations is looked at to help people see some kind of insight into the message written in a way that hints at what God can do. A long time ago I learned in a Trinity Bible Study that the three points of the trinity are also a good way to read the Bible. What does it say, you have to start there, what does it mean, and how does it apply to me, or what can I do now that I know this?

   I will help you find other resources for study as well. There are guide books, Who's Who, Atlases, and hundreds of other books that might help you find your way into the resources, including internet resources and help, that God can give you for dealing with life. The stories are about real people who heard from God and tried to do what he suggested or asked of them. All of the characters in the Bible except Jesus, had flaws, made mistakes, tried to do things their way first and many other typical, real, usual mistakes that we normal people do. You will find yourself in good company.

   I try to lead the class and share my experience with Scripture, but the class is based on the questions people have, so that we focus on what the needs of the participants are. I've read the Bible cover to cover every year, using the One Year Bible, for about 25 years. I learn something new each time I read it, and surprise myself when I do discover those new elements, or a new emphasis that I may have forgotten from a previous reading. My wife Elaine, accuses me of having a membership in a Bible of the Month club. Not quite true, but I do have most of the version/translations/paraphrases in my collection. I'm always amazed that the notes, and other information that is added to the latest edition of the Bible.

   I look forward to teaching this class again. You are invited to join. Perfect attendance is not required. You should be able to get good stuff from the class whenever you can attend. BYOB, bring your own Bible, that way you can find the material in your own copy. Blessings on your adventures in learning about what God can offer us for meeting the challenges and situations we face.

   Pastor Jeff

 

No comments:

Post a Comment