Thursday, December 11, 2014

Rules for Christmas, Part 2

   Welcome to the next installment of Rules for Christmas. See my last post for the first five.  If this is your first visit, I'm giving credit to Sean McEvoy for the original idea. I'm re-writing some of his points with personal examples or ways I've done the same thing. I hope this becomes a way for you to experience the real reason for the season, and I hope it helps to enhance your celebration of the birth of Jesus into our world.

   6. Leaving Work after dark is not fun, but coming home after dark is.  We weren't big on putting lights on the house when I was a kid. My mother was into Williamsburg  decor, and so we did flood lights on the house to show the wreaths and window decor. But when we had children, they wanted lights, it's a joy to see them driving up to the house and seeing other houses lit up as well. One of our family things now is to go out and see the best lit houses, that friends and neighbors have recommended. Or to go to a lighted garden or park together. My grandson loves the lights.

   7. A Christmas Carol is the reset button I press to remember who I want to be as a Christian.  I'm not afraid of the doom Scrooge faced if he stayed a miser, or because I think I'm good enough to earn my way, which I am not, but because there is no better depiction of what it looks like to replace greed/self with giving/others. I had a lot of fun preparing to do Ebenezer in costume for Christmas Eve, last year, to tell the story of transformation and to invite others to take hold of the Christmas spirit all year.

   8. Make your Christmas movie or movies your Mount Rushmore. My favorites include most versions of the Christmas Carol, male or female lead versions. The Road to Christmas, Santa Claus, A Christmas Card, A Christmas Visitor, Christmas Shepherd, (New on Hallmark Channel this year). My wife loves Family Man for many reasons. Watching movies is family time and a special way to get into the season. I love watching them after Christmas too.

   9. The older I get, the less I want. I have a really hard time giving people ideas. I love shopping for others, wrapping the presents, watching them open them, but I don't need too much. I enjoy surprises, but I usually manage to get what I want when it's on a really good sale, or through my Amazon account and clothes when I actually need them. So you might want to funnel your buying to support the charity or ministry of your choice. It will really make a difference in those places, and that's what Christmas is all about.

   10. Christmas is family time. It should be a priority. If there is some dysfunction, try to get it out and over with and offer forgiveness.  Healing is a marvelous thing, and part of the real reason for the season is healing our relationship to God, which often pours out to our relationship to others. Get help, talk it out, but not in the parking lot before Christmas Eve services. See if you can get past the elephant in the room so the rest of the time can be healthier.

   I have several more, but I'll share them later, there are a few more days until Christmas, after all. I want to encourage you to get the most out of the meaning of Christmas and to experience the depth and love that is available  from God for us. Enjoy.

   Blessings on your preparations and your festivities.

Pastor Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment