Monday, March 7, 2016

On Running for Congress

   Hello Blog readers

Yes, I'm running for Congress, Republican for Md. 8th District. At the moment against four others before the primary. I have had a lot of questions asked of me about why. I have had several people become very worried that it will ruin my congregation because of this. I would like to address both of those here.

   First I am running because I am sick and tired and angry about the gridlock in Congress. I heard Mike McCurry, Bill Clinton's press secretary and now a professor at Wesley Seminary tell us at Leadership Days, that there are really only 13 congressman who will routinely cross the aisle and vote for a good idea from the other party. Twenty years ago almost 300 of the 435 would cooperate or compromise to get legislation passed. Who ever the President was, they would work together. Now there seems to be such a digging in of heels that nothing is getting done. I am running because I believe very passionately that Abraham Lincoln is right we need a government "Of the people, By the people, For the people." A representative should know and consider the people again, not career or pressured by the PAC that put them there.

   I'm running because I think we have the greatest nation on the the earth. Not perfect, but with a dedication to the principles of the Constitution and the understanding of history we can have great days ahead of us. We need a return to respect for one another. We need a return to a realization that the best ideas are shaped with dialogue and compromise so that more can be accomplished. We can't do this alone. We can do better with common sense, for the common good.

   I don't have the answers for all of the challenges we face. But I believe we can work on them together and it will be somewhere in between what any one side thinks will work. I think a lot of our challenges can be negotiated, especially with an eye toward how this great nation got here in the first place. With respect, with a welcoming of new ideas and new energy coming into the country by people who really wanted to be here with us.

   I believe a lot us want the government to solve some of the problems that we ourselves need to work on. We need a return to the greatness of neighbors helping neighbors, of strong communities working together. Helping each other up when they are down. Looking out for one another, connecting to one another.


   Now some thoughts about hurting the congregation because I am running for Congress. I believe this is a God thing. And I believe as I have preached when you see something that needs fixing and don't do something about it, you are only lukewarm in your faith and not responding to God's leading. I wish more people would trust that God can do great things. I wish people would trust that God can accomplish work for the Kingdom with the help of the Holy Spirit leading a congregation, not the earthly work of a pastor. I am committed to my congregation and want all of us to grow in our faith so that we become the people God wants. The race to Congress is a very long shot, and I'm likely to be out of the race after the Primary and back full time as pastor. It's only a few more weeks.

   But should a miracle of David versus Goliath occur and I find myself still on the race for Congress, we will find good ways to do what needs to be done in the congregation. The whole idea is that we are a body of Christ. Christ is the head and the leader, and each of us have a part to play in sharing God's love in our community. Each of us have a role in that Body of Christ that will continue, whether I'm still running for Congress or not. I will continue to emphasize that the church belongs to Jesus, and we all take our leadership from him. We will be able to do all of this, if we but trust in God.

   Thank you all for your prayers and your concerns. And may God continue to bless us everyone.

Pastor Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment