Sunday, April 10, 2011

Raise the Dead

Good Morning.  I heard another pastor tell a story on Bishop Peter Weaver, a United Methodist Bishop in the Philadelphia area at the time, share a story about a recent trip on an airplane. He was seated next to a gentleman with several books about business. After the usual, how are you, nice weather, I hope this flight gets us there on time, the topic turned to what do you do? When it was Bishop Weaver's turn, he said, "I raise the dead!" He was partially joking, but also reflecting on his work as a pastor. The seatmate, stopped talking to him for a long time. Curiosity got the better of him eventually, so they continued the conversation.

   I thought that summarized what I hope that I do in my ministry. "Raise the Dead!" It's all about Jesus and what he would do. Raising the dead can mean a lot of things. I hope they reflect what I am trying to do. Do you have places in your life, spiritually, emotionally, relationally, where you feel like it's dead? I think we ought to work on that. I hope that by teaching about Jesus, in Bible Studies, sermons, articles, blogs, programs and ministries of the church, we can help people come back to life. Be transformed, revived, renewed, by the Spirit of God within. I'm working on a sermon series for this summer just about that. I'm looking carefully now, more so than just doing the same old stuff, to see if I can somehow, raise the dead!

   This is Sunday morning, we worship God on Sundays, because it's a way to remind us that many, many years ago, Jesus was raised from the dead! He met his disciple after that Resurrection, and gave us the job of going into all the world, to do the same. If you need raising, come along. If you have been raised and want to help others come alive. Come along.

Blessings,  Pastor Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment